Seventh - Houndsend

Welcome to your Adventure Log!
A blog for your campaign

Every campaign gets an Adventure Log, a blog for your adventures!

While the wiki is great for organizing your campaign world, it’s not the best way to chronicle your adventures. For that purpose, you need a blog!

The Adventure Log will allow you to chronologically order the happenings of your campaign. It serves as the record of what has passed. After each gaming session, come to the Adventure Log and write up what happened. In time, it will grow into a great story!

Best of all, each Adventure Log post is also a wiki page! You can link back and forth with your wiki, characters, and so forth as you wish.

One final tip: Before you jump in and try to write up the entire history for your campaign, take a deep breath. Rather than spending days writing and getting exhausted, I would suggest writing a quick “Story So Far” with only a summary. Then, get back to gaming! Grow your Adventure Log over time, rather than all at once.

View
Houndsend First Session

This is as far as we got in the adventure during the first session. The actual playing of the game works like writing a story so reading up on what has happened is like reading a story. Therefore there is no need to leave out anything of what we wrote in the game and anyone who is interested in following the story just has to read the following, which is the adventure itself:

“At last you have arrived at the famous town of Houndsend and are standing in the middle of, what appears to be, the market district. Men and women in long and light robes walk from merchant to merchant to fetch the best price and odd pairs are discussing the latest gossip and politics. The sound volume is quite loud which makes it a bit diffifcult to distinguish what people are saying and there is a dominating smell of sweetness in the air. The sun is warming and you feel the sweat is starting to shape droplets which are about to force down your face. Maybe that is why most of the people around you are wearing elaborate garment head wear. The ground you stand on appears to be made of sand and it stretches around the city for as far as you can see. In an exotic and busy place like this, adventures are bound happen…”

Please roll a Sensory Check (1d10)

I rolled a 5.)

Standing in the middle of the crowd of people you try to inhale all the atmosphere. The sweet smells seems to come from a merchant behind his stand selling exotic spices and herbs. A couple of meters to your left you can hear two people talking excitedly about some Dead or Undead but you cannot distinguish exactly what they are saying. On top of a wooden box is a man standing in ragged cloth, shouting from the top of his lungs that Cascadian Profecies are about to come true. “The giants are coming! The Giants are coming! Run, I tell you! Run!”. Even though the man seems enthusiastic about it noone seems to pay any attention to him.

What do you do?

I shift the weight from my peg-leg to the other leg, and walk a little closer to the couple mentioning the undead without getting too close. I try to eaves drop on the conversation.

While you get closer you are able to hear more clearly what they are talking about. The conversation goes something like this:

“Man 1 – I am baffeled in the matter. A man being dead but yet alive. Man 2 – Yes I heard that he has not eaten for over a month and the he does not even respond when you talk to him or even hit him. He just lies there in his bed. His mother says he breathes which is putting the twist to the matter. Man 1 – perculiar indeed. I understand his mother, but on the other hand I don’t think it is worth the pain of his family to see him lying there all…dead. Someone should take the guts to ends his miserable life. Man 2 – I hear you, I hear you good man.”

I move up the two men, bow slightly and say: “My good men, so sorry to interrupt you, but you don’t happen to know any good clergy men around here, do you?”

“Ahem.” One of the men produces. He continues, “No need to appologize. Now, what is this about clergy men you inquire about?” The second man interupts and attempts to fill in the blanks “You must be new in town. Don’t mind Darwin here, it is not often we get inquires about religious matters. So, I will have to disappoint you my good man, there has not been any religion of any kind here in Houndsend for many generations now. May I ask why clergy men are in your interest on this fine day, I might be able to guide you to other towns?”

“Oh!”, I sigh dramatically and kick a small stone with my peg-leg, “it’s really silly, I’m almost ashamed of speaking of it. It’s my nephew, you see. He believes he’s a…it’s so silly really…he believes he’s a living dead! Yes I know, silly is what it is. He says he was cursed and he’s forced to live like an undead, so he asked me to find him a clergy man around these parts for some reason. Can you believe it – un-dead? I bet it’s the silliest thing you two gentlemen have heard of. I mean, I find it hard to believe that anyone like you two know anything about undead and their like in this town?”

“Oh my Oh my” The first man gestures. “We haven’t heard of the undead in ages. In fact I don’t think I have never heard of them, other than from the stories that is. So, I am afraid that we will have to disappoint you again. We know next to nothing about undead.” The second man interupts again “That is news out of the ordinary, relly. Are you sure your…nephew was it? is really undead?”

I bow slightly again, smile and say, “Of course not, my good gentlemen. It’s all in his head. Farewell.”

Disappointed at my attempt to lure out some details about the mother and her undead son from the two men, I continue to the man on the wooden box to listen for a while.

While you turn around you feel a hand is put on your shoulder and you hear that one of the men is trying to talk to you “Good man, I mean no disrespect but may we ask you a question of great moral weight” He says with a serious but concerned voice. “Noone in town knows how to deal with this serious question but maybe an outsider can spread some light on it”

I turn around and say: “Yes, go on?”

Both men shrug backwards very unexpectedly almost simultaniously. “Excuse us sir, we mean no prejudice. But what happend to your leg”

“I lost it, plain and simple…to an ogre!” I wait a few seconds to see if they laugh, and then fill in, “Just kidding, my good men. Peg-leg aside, what was it you wanted an outsider to shed some light on?”

“Most fascinating! But indeed, the question at hand” He says with his body still tipped backwards but then straightens up and puts a serious expression on his face “I am not sure if you are aware of the latest news in town but no matter I will go straight to the point none the less. Outside of town there is a family living called the Underens. A little more than a month ago the father of the family passed away, however, noone has been able to determine the cause of his death.” He takes a deep breath and continues “That is a problem on its own but the really serious problem is regarding his son. You see, after the father was buried the son appeared to die as well. One morning his mother could not wake him up and so she made all attempts that came to her mind in order to wake him up. But no, the son would not wake up. She called on help and soon there after it was established that the son was still breathing. But why did he not respond? Everything was tried to wake him, they even tried to cut him with a knife but the boy still did not repond. It is now about a month ago since the boy fell into these deep slumber and noone as come near to wake him up. Discussions goes back and forth and it seems like most of us thinks that he is brain dead and that the mother would do best in end the boys life swiftly, this because it seems inhuman that the boy just lies there “dead”.” He takes another deep breath while the other man patiently stands silent. “Now to the question. As un unbiased mind, would you regard the son dead or alive?” he ends with an utmost serious epression on his face glaring you straight in the eyes.

“Hard to say”, I respond and scratch myself with the peg-leg, “I’m not a doctor. Maybe he’s been cursed too?”

“It is indeed hard to say” one of the men responds and then falls silent for some seconds. “As you say, he may be cursed, but they have found no signs of such things and on the other hand cursing is whitch craft and we have not seen that in a long time. Never say never, though, as my mother always tried to imprint in me.” The other man gestures with his hand towards you and says “Thank you for your thughts, I can hear you are able of extended thinking and it makes me believe that you might be interested in visiting the Undrens. They are desperate and would accept any help they can get. If you like I can show you on a map on how to get there, their house is just outside town. You have a map right?”

I fumble with my pockets and suddenly pull out a clean handkerchief. I hand it to the man with a smile and say, “Of course!”

“A blank map, how…inventive of you” the man seems baffled. “Oh well, let me draw you the outlines of the city and I’ll sketch you the route to the undrens.” He draws the oulines of the city on your handkerchief in a green ink with a type of pen you have not seen before. He then makes a dot to indicate where your present location is and then marks with an X where the Undrens house is. He also points out North and south. The X is located to the East. “There you go, that should be easy enough to follow. Once you get there please tell Ms Undren that Darwin and Deck sent you.”

Do you want to travel to the Undrens now?

(Yes.)

You walk out from the market district and follow one of the roads to the east. You walk past lots of old people sitting outside their houses enjoying the sun and the company. Children, and some older, play games on the streets and it all adds up in a quite heart warming atmosphere. After a while you reach the eastern city gates, made of dry bright wood and does not seem to be there for protection but rather just set a border to the city.

You follow the sandy road out of town and soon you arrive at a simple house just some meters to the side of the road. In front of the house you can see many people, each of them discussing with another. You are quite sure that this is the Undren’s house.

I walk slowly towards the house. If anyone take notice of my presence, I nod and smile to them. I pull out my old pipe and knocks it a couple of times against the peg-leg, stuff it with some questionable tobacco and put the unlit pipe in my mouth. I keep myself circling around the people, trying to gather information.

Most of the people does not seem to take notice of you. A couple of them smiles at you as you walk around, maybe an attempt to invite you. What you can discern from the chatter souds a lot like what you heard Darwin and Deck talk about in town. “Is he dead or is he alive?” is the most frequent question amongst the crowd. The entrance door to the house is wide open and it seems to be free for anyone to walk out and in. From the inside you can hear pottery clanking.

What do you do?

I walk through the open door and take a look around.

Inside the house, you immediately spot a man lying on a bed in far right corner of the house. To your left you can see a woman making food. Vegetables, meats, drinks, oils and more are spread all over the kitchen. It seems like the woman is makeing all kinds of food at once. To your immediate right is a dining table. Other than that the house seems to be adorned with only what one would expect in a house, carpets, paintings, candles cupboards.

“Good day, my fair lady”, I shout and bow. “Sorry for intruding into your beautiful home, but you wouldn’t have something to light my pipe would you?”

The woman turns around and gapes at you. She looks uneasy and her face is dry, filled with wrinkles that appears to come from a lack of sleep. She opens her mouth and produces the words “I’m sorry, mister. I did not listen there. May I ask: Who are you?”

“My name is Torulf Weakleg, of the Weaklegged…if you’ve happened to heard of us…no? Anyway, I’m here on behalf of Deck and Darwin.”

“Oooh, I am being rude. You are probably here to help me and here I go being rude. You must excuse my manners, and..and this mess. Darwin and Deck must have explained it all to you. Can you understand me Mr. Weakleg, the pain I am in? I do not want to burden you but I am about to collapse on the inside beacuse of what has happened to my son. I simply do not know what to do any longer. Each day starts with hope, the hope that tells me that my son will wake up, but also each day ends in despair and the despair just gets worse and worse. Are you here to help me? Can you help? Please, say you can help?” Tears are streaming down her face and you now understand where all these wrinkles in her face comes from.

%{color:blue}”Here”, I say and quickly slide her a chair, “sit down and rest for a while, and let old peg-legged Torulf help ye.” I help myself over to food and put a finger in every pot to taste. I manage to light my pipe using a stick from the oven. “Tellf mef, deafr lafdy”, I say with my mouth full of carrot, “whatf are froubling youf?”%

she accepts the chair, and with a apparent effort she produces a smile “Thank you”. She seems to be watching you with a positive relief when she sees you tasting everything in the kitchen. She takes a deep breath and says “It warms my heart to see someone for the first time in a very long time being appreciative of life, I hope you enjoy my cooking, it is all fresh from mother nature. As I am sure Darwin and Deck explained, I do not know what is wrong with my son. He has been lying there on his bed unresponsive to anything for a month now. The whole town has shown their concern for us, even the mages from the university, but none has been able to shed light on this. And now I am beginning to question myself. Is my son really alive, or is he dead? Is it more noble to end is life swiftly or are we unworthy of making such a decision? It all hurts my head but I cannot escape the fact the I cannot take it much longer seeing my son lying there dead, but alive” She stretches her hand towards you and nervously grabs your hand. “What would you do, if you were me?

%{color:blue}I swallow down the rest of the carrot, the potatoes, the mushrooms, the boiled eggs, and a mug of water before I answer, “I have no idea, my dear lady.” I put the pipe in my mouth and puff on it for a moment. With my eyes focused on the horizon outside, I ask: “When did all this started?”%

“It all started when my husband died. He and my son has always been very close, like best friends they did everything together. My son, Hugo, cried for days after his fathers passing away. So did I and we comforted each other. He acted as any normal boy would have acted at that time but then after the funeral it all changed. We buried him deep underground and we held a ceremony in the name of mother nature and my husband. Right when he was lowered down I could see my son collapsing. We all thought that he fainted, because that would be expected, but he never woke up. We had to carry him home to his bed. The next morning I thought that he would wake up but he didn’t. Since then he has lied there on his bed unresponsive.” She continues “I don’t know what else I can tell you except that when my husband was alive it was not unusual that my husband and son slept for a full day and night. I never bothered to bother them about it but that is the only thing I can think of. That my son is now sleeping for 100 days and nights instead of 1 day and night.”

“Sounds strange enough”, I say and puff some more on my pipe. “What’s your relation to Darwin and Deck, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Please roll a Sensory Check

(I rolled a 10.)

For a split second you become unconcious but that split second feels like an eternity when you regain your conciousness. A couple of seconds later it happens again but this time you are able to sense a wisper but then you gain back your conciousness. What just happened?

Please make a Wisdom Check

(I rolled 8.)

You regain control over yourself and after some pondering you understand that someone is trying to get into your mind. Maybe if you would be able to concentrate real hard you could get some sense out of this.

Please make a Concentration Check

(I rolled 6.)

You close your eyes and concentrate inwards. After some seconds you here the wisper again, this time more clear than before: “You need to help me. I know you can help but you need to let me get into your mind. Don’t be afraid I will not harm you. All you have to do is will me into your mind, let go of the control you might say”

Will you let whoever it is to enter your mind? All you need to do is wanting it.

(I let whoever it is enter my mind.)

All is silent, dark, numb, tasteless and smelless but you are aware. You have entered a space which feels both big and empty and you feel like whoever entered your mind is now leading you navigating you through a myriad of dillusions. It feels like you are on drugs and you might ask yourself if that might not be the case. But someone speaks to you “I have shut down all your senses except one. My mother will think that you have suffered the same fate as I have, but have faith Torulf for I will guide you. Know that you are now under my complete control and know that you are not able to get out from here until I release you. I need your help because I sense that you are the only one who can help me, don’t ask me why beacuase I don’t know why you are the only one.”

It is then quiet.

Please make an intuition Check.

(I rolled 4.)

You attempt to communicate with him but you don’t know how to.

I try to break free from this state.

No matter who hard you try you fail in every attempt. It is like wherever you turn a void is there. A void you feel unfamiliar with. Now all kinds of different creatures, colors and light and darknesses is appearing inside your mind. A horse with wings but without legs, a frog the size of a house, a princess dressed in black, a burning house, a man petting himself on the shoulder, a father putting his child to bed just to see the child fall through into the void. It all passes you quickly but you cannot resist being scared of what is happening. The voice starts communicating with you again “I am Hugo, the boy you saw lying dead on the bed. I need your help and I need you to be able to communicate back to me, if we do this together all will be fine. Now listen carefully. First Concentrate as hard as you can, then leave all attempts of control and just let everything that comes at you be free.

Please make the following Checks in order: Concentration Check, Intuition Check

View
Torulf Weakleg Continues

This is where Torulf Weakleg continues his story. You need to read the previous post for this to make sense but I am sure it can be ejoyed anyway.

(Concentration check: 9, Intuition check: 10)

As a spontaneous burst of knowledge you know how to speak back to Hugo. The words seem to shape automatically in your mouth as you try to speak. Your intuitive knowledge about language enables you to talk back to Hugo.

“Hugo?”, I say. “What happened to you, your mother’s worried sick!”

Hugo looks relieved. He says “That is exactly what I wanted to talk to you about. I know she is worried about me but there is nothing I will do about it. I want you to make me a promise. Can you promise me that you will tell my mother to keep feeding me no matter what? Tell her that I am fine but that I cannot be with her for the moment. It is very important this to me” He looks at you with serious eyes waiting for an answer.

“I understand, I wouldn’t want to be without your mother’s cooking either…”, I say and think back at the mushrooms and potatoes. “I promise I’ll tell her. But is that really all you want from me?”

“That is all I want, yes” he tilts his head downwards and you think you can sense some sadness in his voice though it has a flavour of determination

“Consider it done, lad! Although I have to say…it’s one strange illness you’re suffering from. I’ve never seen the likes of it. At least you don’t have to live with a peg-leg!”

“What are you talking about” Hugo expresses as he were confused at what you said “Illness? I’m not Ill!” he replies with his eye brows crumbled. “Have a look at your leg, friend”

As you look down you see that the peg leg you had before is now replaced by the leg you had before the peg. it doesn’t feel any different but there it is none the less.

“Tell me! Do you know where you are? You don’t do you?”

”...not anymore, no…”, I tell him and put some weight on my former peg-leg.

He scans you up and down and breaths in whatever aura you have. He then smiles and says “Come with me and I’ll show you” He then streches his hand towards you signaling for you to take it

I inspect it for a moment, and say: “Where to?”

“That is what you will find out. I’ll explain more on the way. Come now”

I follow him a bit sceptical, still uncertain about my leg.

When you grab his hand you feel the ground beneath you disappearing but you stay put. When you look down to inspect you see a big black void and you can’t quite comprehend what is going on. Hugo starts to go forward but you see that he is not moving his legs. You follow him automatically with ease and you now know that you are flying. But you don’t feel that pull in your stomach as you’d expect to feel.

Hugo drags you forwards and images appears all around you. To your right you see your pegleg being used as a bat. It is a disturbing sight but it has a comical sense to it. The image fades and ahead of you another image starts to shape. It is a huge flock of birds that are flying in a formation that is making a beautiful pattern. The birds stop in mid air and forms a heart. Strange as it may seem it continues to be strange. Fireworks shoot up behind the bird heart and the background turns blue and looks like the sky. This image also fades.

Whereever you look you see blackness, but it is not the same blackness you see when you close your eyes. This blackness feels like you are in a big black room and you can see the walls. It strikes you as odd.

Hugo turns towards you “Does it make any sense as to where you are?”

“Not any more than right behind you…hopefully…”

Hugo laughs “You are an amusing guy! Close your eyes and think of something, imagine anything you like. And then before you open your eyes again hold this thought and think of it hard, as hard as you can”

I close my eyes and instinctively think about food, more specific Hugo’s mother’s cooking. But just before I open my eyes, my mind slips away and I start to think about the surrounding darkness – and how to get rid of it. I start to think about lanterns, and open my eyes.

Before you you see metal lanterns glowing with a warm yellow light. They are there for only a fraction of a second and then they disappear.

Hugo says “Now, did you actually see the what you imagined or did you only imagine that you saw?”

“I have to say, considering the circumstances, it doesn’t really matter… Hugo, please tell me what is it that you want of me?”

“If you do concider the circomstances it doesn’t really matter, that is correct. Because imagination here is the same as what you see.” Hugo continues “We are now in the Realm of the Minds. Your mind, my mind and everybody elses mind. Here you can see what is going on in all the minds in our universe, you just have to know where those memories are located of course. This realm is often defined as the fifth dimension, if you don’t mind me saying.”

Hugo seems to be enjoying hearing himself talking and so he continues “I am not ill. The only thing that has happend to me is that all my senses that works in the first three dimensions has stopped working. They have stopped working because I want so. The only senses that I have working are the senses that sense in the other dimensions. I have brought you here by my will and it is still my will that decides when your other senses will start working again. As it is now, you have no control over anything, unless your will is strong enough of course and I let you. The reason why You are here and not anyone else is because of the simple reason that you are the only one who has willed me into your mind. You allowed me to enter you mind and here we are, in the Realm of the Mind.”

He waits for the information to sink in in you and watches you with a concentrated gaze.

“I simply just want someone who can understand this and then bring back the news to my mother that I am perfectly fine but that I cannot return yet. She needs to keep feeding me and caring for me as she has done so far.”

I scratch my belly while the strange news slowly settles in my mind. I point at him and open my mouth, but close it again, only to open it yet again and ask: “Say, Hugo, are you here by your own free will?”

“Yes” the answer is short as it would tell everything. “is there anything else you would like to know while you are here? For I see it not so possible that you’ll be back”

“Hmm… I guess your mother would like to know how long you are planning to stay here…”

“The truth is that I don’t know for how long I will stay”

Please make an Intuition Check (1d10)

(I rolled an 8.)

You sense that he is not telling you everything.

I try to persuade him by telling him that I believe that his mother really misses him, and that she’d probably like to know what he’s up to.

Please make an Will Check (1d10)

(I rolled 6.)

“What I am up to?” He seems to ponder the question for a while “well I guess it doesn’t hurt telling the truth. I am looking for my dad. I am not sure if that will help my mome or not, or if she will get upset even.” he stays quite

“I see. Does she know that you’re looking for you father?”

“No she doesn’t. She doesn’t know that this is possible, I think. She doesn’t know what I know. To my mother my dad is dead but to me my dad is not dead” He says the last “dead” with a differnt tone implying that he is using dead as lack of a better word.

“Deck and…and…” – I search for the name under large gestures – “Darwin, yes, Deck and Darwin, told me about your father. I’m sorry for your loss, but don’t you think it’s better to let him go…?”

“Thank you. I can let him go but I don’t think he has went yet. Before my father died we used to go here. He had a natural talent for it and tought me since I was a little boy. He had the most beautiful imagination I have ever seen, but he always showed me how to get there. Now I can’t find it. He always told me that I should always remember his place up here and that I could always see him here if he would die. I thought he meant dying of old age but my dad was a young man and he shouldn’t have died. So, I don’t think he really died. I think he still lives…here, it is just that his body died.” He takes a breath and continues “I looked it up in books if it is possible to just let the body die and let the mind live on. I found what I was looking for and they called it the Death of the Body. It is really strange stuff. It seems like life is three fold. The mind, the body and the soul. If any of these three dies the others will die too, but as I said, I think my dad found a way to just die the Death of the Body.” “Do you understand what I mean, I don’t mean to be a bore, I just want to understand.”

“I…believe so, yes. Perhaps. No?”

I wave my hands around, and say: “Can’t you just think of him and… Like I did with the lanterns?”

“I wish I could saticefy with that, the only problem is that then it isn’t him that I see, only my memories of him. I want to see him and meet him and be with him and know what happened.”

He stops to gather himself “I will let you go now. I must warn you though, it will hurt when you get back so you might want to be prepared for the coming. Tell my mother I’ll be back as soon as I can”

After his last words you stop seeing him. He fades rapidly into nothing and left is a big black nothingness. You feel like you are in a whirlpool and you can’t get out of it. You just sink lower and lower down. Before you know it though, all your senses are turned on at the same time and it hurts…a lot.

Please roll an Endurance Check (1d10)

(I rolled 9.)

You take 1d20 damage

(I rolled 18…ouch?)

As you open your eyes bright light shines at you and all you see is a blur of faces. Sound is chaotic to you. You hear a woman worridly crying your name to see if you are OK. You are quite certain this woman is Ms Undren.

“Mr Weakleg, are you Ok? What happend?”

I gasp for air, and turn my head around as to focus on anything. “I… I made a lantern…?”

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.